I’m extremely excited about the trip. I have never been to NYC and I look forward to learning more about the city and the design firms simultaneously. I don’t really know any of the students in the class, so it will be interesting to be in a totally different city with a group of people I don’t know, but I am certain that I can only gain from this experience.
Short statement on what is west coast design.
I feel that the west coast is known for being much more laid back than the east coast and I feel that this sense of style transcends into different facets of life and culture. This includes design as well.
Research on companies:
• Pentagram Designs creates print screen graphics, products and buildings. Pentagram also satisfies its clients by designing aesthetics and value.
• Papermag is an online publication which features New York art exhibits, club listings, literary events, movie reviews and shows and also includes a night-life guide.
• Courtney & Company is a company with a “results driven approach to communications design” they hold collaboration in high esteem.
• AIGA National Chapter is a association where professionals can exchange ideas and information. It serves designers with 5 critical functions: information, communication, inspiration, validation and representation.
• Ogilvy and Mather is a design company with an ability to build brands on both a local and global scale. They have the ability to develop relationships with consumer and brand.
• Carbone Smolan create distinctive branding identity for everything from corporate logos to multi-tiered naming and brand architecture programs with strategic thinking.
• C & G parterns Chermayeff & Geismar Inc. is a well known design firm and creates identities, exhibitions, print graphics, signage, interactive projects, and environments, while communicating valuable ideas for an array of different clients.
• Nickolodeon Creative Services is a company which provides media based entertainment for an audience ranging from babies to teenagers.
• Bloomberg Design is a full service corporate communuicatios firm who combine savvy talent and design expertise in order to come up with unique solutions for their clients.
• Siegel and Gale subscribe to the idea that bold and simple is what is needed to make a brand excel.