Thursday, March 8, 2007

What to pack, what to pack....


Since I'll be graduating this May, "job search" is on my mind. It's stressful, but I love the idea of going out and working somewhere and learning more and more about this field. I would love to find a job somewhere outside of LA, so this week that we will be spending in NYC will be a great opportunity to soak in the atmosphere and see if I would (potentially) like to work in the city. That is one of my main goals for this trip. It will also be a great way to take a small "bite" from different areas of design, kind of like a design sampler, and get a variety of different flavors.

I think the company I'm most excited for is Paper Magazine. I've always really enjoyed their strong aesthetic and their straightforward design. They always seem to be ahead of the curve in terms of popular culture, so it will be interesting to see how much of that is reflected in their physical space. Ogilvy and Mather is another company I am looking forward to seeing. They have produced so much work for so many different brands that I'm excited to see how they run their office.

Growing up in the west coast, I've become accustomed to the wide mixture of cultures and people that make up this region. Born and raised in the 48th state of the USA, I'm used to the idea that the western imprint is still relatively fresh. With that in mind, I believe west coast design has a distinctly different taste than that of the east. While I can't say for sure, it feels as though east coast design is steeped in tradition, given their long standing history and closeness with Europe. The west coast, on the other hand, feels like a patchwork on influences, perhaps contributing to the idea that west coast design is still coming into its own.

No comments: